SRINAGAR – At least twenty-five houses were gutted and three persons were injured in a massive fire in Gata Colony in Noorbagh area of Srinagar district overnight, officials said on Thursday.
They said the fire broke out due to a short-circuit in one of the houses and spread quickly to others, damaging 25 houses and a tin shed. They said that fire brought control and three persons—Manzoor Ahmad Sheikh, Tahir Ahmad Sheikh and Tanveer Ahmad Sheikh—and a firefighter received injuries in the incident and were hospitalized. In all 33 families were putting up in these houses and have been rendered shelter less in the devastating blaze, they said. Preliminary investigation suggests that the fire erupted due to short-circuit but a detailed inquiry was underway to conclude the reasons behind the fire, the officials added.
Meanwhile, on the directions of the Deputy Commissioner Srinagar, Mohammad Aijaz Asad, the Additional Deputy Commissioner (ADC) Srinagar, Dr Syed Hanief Balkhi visited Sheikh Colony Noor Bagh area of the district to take first hand appraisal and on the spot assessment of the damages caused due to devastating fire incident during the intervening night of Wednesday-Thursday.
The ADC who was accompanied by the Tehsildar Eidgah, Ishfaq Ahmad and other concerned Officers met the fire victims whose residential houses were completely damaged in a massive fire incident.
While interacting with the fire sufferers, the ADC expressed sympathies with them on behalf of the District Administration Srinagar. He also assured that every kind of possible support shall be provided from the District Administration for their immediate rehabilitation.
The ADC was informed that 25 residential houses comprising 37 families were gutted in the devastating fire incident.
On the occasion, essential assistance in the form of 185 blankets, 111 mattresses, 111 bed sheets and 37 kitchen sets, besides Rs 185000 to 37 families was provided out of Red Cross as an interim relief to the fire victims.
Similarly, the District Administration Srinagar also provided the immediate assistance of Rs 15000, besides 15 blankets, 9 mattresses, 9 bed sheets and 3 kitchen sets to the fire victims of Rajouri Kadal area in Shaher e Khaas of the district in which one house was gutted in a fire incident on Wednesday rendering 3 families homeless.
Meanwhile, the DC has also sanctioned structure wise financial assistance of Rs 25,47,500 in favour of 25 house owners of Noorbagh and Rs 1,01,900 in favour of Rajouri Kadal house owners under SDRF.
Further, the District Administration has appealed to the General public to follow all precautionary measures while handling electric/electronic gadgets, LPG cylinders and other appliances being used for heating and cooking purposes to avoid such fire incidents.